NFL Week 6 Awards
Written by Remy Johnson on October 17, 2019
Photo credit: barstoolsports.com
The good: Kirk Cousins continued to throw the ball well this week, Lamar Jackson carved up the Bengals through the air and the ground, and Deshaun Watson out dueled Patrick Mahomes in a battle of MVP candidates.
The bad: Minshew Magic ran out of acts against the Saints, the refs completely screwed the Lions out of a win over the Packers, and the Redskins beat the Dolphins, worsening the Skins’ chance at a top draft pick.
The ugly: The Cowboys lost to the Jets, both of the LA teams looked like garbage, and the Titans don’t have an offense, not just a quarterback.
- QB Lamar Jackson(BAL): 65.1 completion percentage, 1,507 yards, 11 touchdowns and five interceptions. Rushing: 69 carries, 460 yards and two touchdowns(Last week: No. 6)
Jackson threw for 236 yards and ran for 152 yards in the Ravens 23–17 win over the Bengals. Up next: a showdown in Seattle with Russell Wilson and the Seahawks.
- RB Christian McCaffrey(CAR): 127 carries, 618 yards and seven touchdowns. Receiving: 35 catches, 305 yards and two touchdowns(Last week: No. 5)
McCaffrey only had 31 yards rushing on Sunday, but he reached the end zone twice in the Panthers 37–26 win over the Bucs in London. Up next: Bye Week.
- QB Tom Brady(NE): 65.4 completion percentage, 1,743 yards, 10 touchdowns and three interceptions. Rushing: three touchdowns(Last week: No. 4)
Brady didn’t throw for a touchdown, but he ran for two scores in the Patriots’ 35 – 14 win over the Giants Thursday Night. Up next: A Monday Night showdown with Sam Darnold and the New York Jets in New Jersey.
- QB Patrick Mahomes(KC): 63.9 completion percentage, 2,104 yards, 14 touchdowns and one interception.(Last week: No. 2)
Mahomes was 19 for 35, throwing for 273 yards, three touchdowns and one pick, which was his first of the year, against the Texans Sunday. Up next: A Thursday Night battle in Denver with the Broncos.
- QB Deshaun Watson(HOU): 69.7 completion percentage, 1,644 yards, 12 touchdowns and three interceptions. Rushing: 32 carries, 164 yards and five touchdowns(Last week: No. 3)
Watson didn’t have his best day throwing the football(280 yards, a touchdown and two INT’s), but he continues to score on the ground, reaching the end zone twice in Week 6. Up next: Houston travels to Indy to face off with the Colts.
- QB Russell Wilson(SEA): 72.5 completion percentage, 1,704 yards, 14 touchdowns and zero interceptions. Rushing: 36 carries, 151 yards and three touchdowns(Last week: No. 1)
Russell Wilson was his usual, efficient self on Sunday, going 23 for 33, posting 295 yards with three total scores(two throwing, one rushing). Up next: a home date with Lamar Jackson and the Ravens.
Game of the Week: Lions at Packers
Yes, the refs cheated the Lions, but apart from that, it was a thrilling contest between two playoff-caliber teams(Honorable mention: Seahawks at Browns).
Upset of the Week: Jets over Cowboys
I called it! The Cowboys slept through the game for three quarters, and by the time they got back in it, they needed a two-point conversion to tie the game, and they failed.
Offense of the Week: Minnesota Vikings(38 points scored, 455 yards of total offense)
Defense of the Week: Denver Broncos(shut out the Titans, recorded seven sacks and forced three turnovers)
Dud of the Week(player): QB Marcus Mariota(TEN)
Mariota was 7 for 18, throwing for 68 yards and a pick. That’s a laughable Quarterback Rating(QBR) of 9.5.
Dud of the Week (team): Dallas Cowboys
It’s shameful that the Cowboys can be looked at as Super Bowl contenders after the first three weeks, but then look like they’re bound for a losing season the next three weeks. Sunday’s game against the Eagles should be viewed as a must-win(Honorable mentions: both LA teams).
Breakout player: QB Kyler Murray(ARI)
Murray put on a show. He threw for 340 yards and three scores as he led the Cardinals to a 34–33 win over the Falcons.
Player of the Week: WR Stefon Diggs(MIN): seven catches, 167 yards and three touchdowns(Honorable mention: QB Lamar Jackson(BAL))
Team of the Week: San Francisco Niners
Are you woke on the Niners now? They dominated the Rams on Sunday, completely shutting down Jared Goff, who had 78 passing yards. This team is legit and scary(Honorable mention: Houston Texans).